Saturday, March 24, 2007

Open Letter to Novell

March 9, 2007

Friends,

It was one year ago today that I walked out of this building for the last time. I would learn later how you each learned of the accident and what your feelings and reactions were. What I saw, and will always cherish, was the immediate, personal and collective responses that, in many ways, saved me and my family.

That initial support and caring for your injured friend has changed and progressed as my condition has changed and progressed. Your gifts, cards, letters, hospital visits, prayers and faith are forever with me in my heart and memory (and a couple big scrapbooks!) But what has truly changed me is the love and acceptance you show to me as I wheel around amongst you every day.

After one year of living with paralysis, my family and I are approaching a new normal. Changes and adjustments are smaller and less frequent. I am expecting that elements of grief will linger for a while longer as various elements of loss are briefly brought into the foreground. But beside those few light shadows, the landscape of my life is filled with happiness and evidence that life is worth living to the fullest - even if I live it sitting down.

With Warm Regards,
Steve Townsend

No comments: