Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Disability Access Review: Knott's Berry Farm

Last week, I posted my personal findings about enjoying the attractions at Disneyland with paralysis. Even though I had been before about a year after the accident, we went all out this time. The goal was five days in SoCal with three days at Disneyland Resort, one day at Knott's Berry Farm and one day at Six Flag's Magic Mountain. Since I chickened out on a couple Disneyland rides in 2007, I tried a little more research ahead of time. The most difficult research came when looking for ANYTHING about Knott's Berry Farm. So we decided to just go for it. A lot of people with Spinal Cord Injury develop this attitude. Sometimes, you just can't see the end from the beginning. And even more challenging, sometimes you can see a path to success more than one step in front of you. So with Knott's, I just kind of looked at the park map and said, "It can't be THAT bad. I'm sure they've done something to make it work." The hope was that the web site said to check with guest services when you get there for help with people with disabilities. I thought that was a good sign.

So here's what we found: Knott's Berry Farm IS NOT ACCESSIBLE FOR PEOPLE WITH PARALYSIS! (Yes, I know I'm yelling.) I was really upset that we paid $40ish to get into a park that I had a really hard time enjoying. And moreover, the clientele at Knott's has taken on a rather local 'punk and skank' flavor. So there was quite a bit of immodest dress, tattoos, piercings and foul language to color the experience as I waited for my family outside of EVERY RIDE IN THE PARK! (Yes, I'm yelling again. Sorry…)

There is indeed a booklet, clearly written by lawyers, that lists every attraction in the park and all of the abilities one must have in order to participate. I was not able to find this book online. Suffice it to say, every ride, queue or exit, requires you to step up or down one or more steps, squeeze through a space not wide enough for a wheelchair, or turn water into wine. There is even one ride that points disabled people to the exit for access. Then the exit has 14 steps up to the ride. I don't think these people get it.

So, if you find yourself with an option to NOT go to Knott's, choose that. But if your companions, family, etc. really want to go, here are some things you might be able to do.










Attraction Name

How to Access

How to Board

Recommendation

Ghost Town rides Some rides (like Ghostrider) provide access through the exit You cannot get your wheelchair near the rideNot accessible
Ghost Town shows, stores and restaurants Some of these are pretty interesting. Although some require a bit of a 'hop' up a threshold to get into the store. No transfer required.Accessible
Mystery Lodge Enter through the main entrance There is a row provided for people in wheelchairs. No transfer is requiredCompletely accessible
The Boardwalk rides None of these were accessible although the 'Sky Cabin' wasn't open the day we were there. You cannot get your wheelchair near the ride or the transfer is prohibitive.Not accessible
The Boardwalk shows, stores and restaurants We ate at Johnny Rocket's and I went in a few of the stores. It wasn't a bad place to hang out while everyone else is having fun. The Snoopy theater was closed when we were there. But it looked like there was space for wheelchairs.No transfer required
Fiesta Village rides None of these rides are accessible You cannot get your wheelchair near the rideNot accessible
Fiesta Village shows, stores and restaurants There really isn't anything of note to do in this section of the park. Stay in the Boardwalk area if you canNothing to do here
Camp Snoopy My kids are too old, so we didn't go here this time… -Unknown

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Well, this saddens me to read. Accessible through the exit and then many steps up to the ride? Stupid. I cannot do this and my injuries are not as serious as yours.

Debbie Ramirez said...

I was browsing the info and am also horrified to see that Knott's is NOT wheelchair friendly. The ONLY ride that looks to be accessible is the Calico Train. Nothing more. Seems to me that they need a wake up call. I wonder if it isn't against the law to be so severely inaccessible.