Sunday, May 6, 2007

Townsend Men Reunion

Last weekend, April 28-30, my brothers and I converged in Wichita, Kansas to bless Michael newest grandson, Bennet and to just get reacquainted. It was a good time and we all felt very blessed to be able to make it out there at such a beautiful season in Kansas.






I had only one paraplegic moment on the way out. I had to make a connection in Minneapolis. Unfortunately, the Salt Lake flight was 15 minutes late and I had to wheel, no joke, a mile from one gate to the next. With spasms stopping me every 100 yards or so, I wheeled up to the departure gate as the jetway was being pulled away from the plane. Crud! So I sat in the airport for seven hours for the next flight to Wichita. The real bad thing is that I missed the blessing of my new grand-nephew and just about a whole day with my brothers and Lisa.
Live and learn in this new life. But for all intents and purposes, this was the first travel experience that I did all on my own. But I still owe a lot to my brothers and sister, Lisa. They were accomodating and understanding of all of my little complications.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Howdy Steve!

Looks like you are doing well! Drop me a note when you can.

jefreyr at mac.com

-- jrj

David said...

I don't know you. I came across your blog while searching for an old friend who shares your name. As I was reading though, I was touched by your tragedy and the way you have dealt with the consequences of it.

I'm sitting here having a bit of an emotional moment about the life of a complete stranger. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Anonymous said...

Dear Steve,I found your site when i googled my husband's name, Steven Townsend. He is an Atv rider in Pa. he rides a 250 r racing 4 wheeler. I showed him your blog. We hope you are doing well. Could you be a long lost relative. My steve lost track of his father when he was only 2 years old. His name was Richard Townsend. write back if you like. charlene townsend

Anonymous said...

Hey Steve!
You don't know me, but I was randomly searching blogs this afternoon and found yours. I had a car crash 8 years ago which left me in a wheelchair for life. I too am a T3 complete paraplegic. Even though i have gone through the same experience, it is refreshing to know that we all still lead relativly 'normal' lives.

Im looking forward to reading more of your blogs, Steve!

~Laura~

Brett Galbraith said...

yeah bro!!! nice to read your blog...check out www.rpmsurfer.com and search jeff munson...still charging after his injury...you guys are heroes!!! BTW...love your shirt Daniel...MuCH LOVE to the Townsend bros!!!